PART 1 - Tablets in the classroom
1. Mirroring apps on to the smartboard (Ask Darren Maltais!!)
2. Educational apps
3. Students using the tablet
- As a reward
- As part of a station
- To help adapt or differentiate
PART 2 - How can we use webcams in school?
1. Skype in the classroom
- Click here and follow the instructions to install
- Click here once you have set up an account and find people to skype with!
- Skype with another class (Great for second languages or immersion language practice, learning about world view and other cultures, sharing projects and ideas etc.)
- Skype Collections - Skype lessons organized into a variety of subjects. Also see the Skype Lessons section to search
- Mystery Skype - Two classes Skype and the aim of the game is to guess the location of the other classroom by asking each other questions.
- Skype with a guest speaker - See the SITC website and search away!
- Take a virtual field trip - Find a lesson where they walk you through another part of the world!
- My Skype username is MmeMerriman so find me!
- See some examples of Skype lessons I've tried
2. Google Hangouts
- Go to your Google+ and find this icon ----------->
- Teacher/Teacher - Build your PLC and chat live with teachers from the other end of school or the far reaches of BGRS!
- Class/guest speaker - Know anyone?
- Google communities
- See this great article about 50 Ways to use Google Hangouts in schools
- See some examples of Google Hangouts I've participated in and a few that I found over the next few weeks
- Chris Hadfield book talk - this one was not interactive
- Dogsledding Through Glass With The Wilderness Virtual Fieldtrip - Feb 4
- Story telling ideas for PD presentations
- Solar Impulse - About the journey of a solar airplane
- Virtual Valentines Around the World - Tech, world view, etc
3. Other ideas
- Video conferencing via webcams
- Students recording presentations, reading, etc
- Record lessons and save or share to Youtube
- Use like a document camera
- Netbooks have webcams but I'm not sure of the tec requirements for kids to have G+ or Skype. But think of the possibilities!
- Any other ideas?
- Now what about FOIP and parent consent? I included permission as part of my start-up forms.
How to install
(if it hasn't been already. Webcam must be plugged in to computer before install)
When you use your webcam through Skype or Google this window will pop up to edit as you work. You can just ignore if you want to keep it simple. You can also open this up on it's own to record photos and videos to save or share.